Caramelized Onion Crusted Snapper Fillet
1 lb Snapper Fillet
1 each Medium Spanish Onion
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the onion in half and julienne.* (*Julienne: a culinary knife cut in which the food item is cut into long thin strips, similar to matchsticks).
- In a hot sauté pan, add enough oil to coat the pan and the onions and salt/pepper to taste.
- Cook until they begin to turn color then reduce the heat to a medium and continue to cook until the onions are almost thoroughly brown.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and reduce until almost all the liquid has been evaporated or absorbed by the onions.
- Add the brown sugar, stirring almost continuously to incorporate sugar, balsamic and onions all together.
- Let them cool and set aside.
- Salt and pepper snapper.
- Coat top of snapper with caramelized onions, pat down.
- Add oil to hot sauté pan and place snapper onion side up. Sauté for 30 seconds then add white wine. Cook until done.